This classic tug was built in 1941 by Lester F. Alexander of New Orleans, LA as the West Wind for the Panama Canal Company. In 1944 she was sold to the Union Oil Company of California. Newtown Creek Towing purchased the tug in 1951 and renamed her Russell 2. In 1961 she was sold to RDM Marine and renamed West Wind. Toth Motorships acquired the West Wind in 1965. Lorraine Krispin acquired the tug in 1968, and it passed again to James Mazurek in 1970. The tug eventually ended up in the hands of Buffalo Industrial Diving of Buffalo, NY. She was later sold to A.J. Brothers Marine Construction, and then to Man O’ Trees Inc. of Buffalo. In 2016 she was purchased by Dean Marine & Excavating of Mount Clemens, MI.
West Wind is currently inactive in Mount Clemens.
- Type: Single Screw Tugboat
- Year Built: 1941
- Builder: Lester F. Alexander, New Orleans, LA
- Engines: 1 Detroit 12V-71
- Length: 60′ 00″
- Breadth: 17′ 01″
- Depth: 7′ 06″
- Port of Registry: Buffalo, NY