Lake Superior

Photo by Anders Gilbertson

This large tugboat was built in 1943 by Tampa Marine Corp. as the Major Emil H. Block (LT-18) for the U.S. Army. The tug was then transferred to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1950 and renamed Lake Superior. Around 1995 the tug was retired from service and acquired by the Duluth Entertainment & Convention Center of Duluth, Minnesota where it was used as a floating museum starting in 1996. In 2007 the tug was sold to Billington Contracting of Duluth, but it has remained inactive and is currently laid up in Duluth. In early 2022 the tug sank at its moorings in Duluth harbor, and was raised several weeks later.

  • Type: Single Screw Tugboat
  • Year Built: 1943
  • Builder: Tampa Marine Corp., Tampa, FL
  • Hull No.: 1
  • Engines: 1 Enterprise DMQ-38
  • Horsepower: 1,200 bhp
  • Length: 114′ 00″
  • Breadth: 26′ 00″
  • Depth: 13′ 08″

Ken Newhams

Anders Gilbertson

Isaac Pennock

Ken Newhams