This classic tugboat was built in 1948 by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company as the steam railroad tug A.T. Lowmaster for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Company. In 1967, she was sold to Edward O. Sanchez. She was sold Canadian in 1975 when Great Lakes Barge Limited acquired the tug and renamed her Wilfred M. Cohen. The following year she was converted to diesel power, with an engine salvaged from the submarine USS Finback. In 1981, the Cohen was sold to A.B. McLean Limited. Purvis Marine Limited of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario acquired the tug in 1994.
Wilfred M. Cohen is one of Purvis’s busiest tugs, often pushing the deck barge PML 9000 or the tank barge PML 2501 in the steel coil and coal tar trades, respectively, out of Sault Ste. Marie.
- Type: Single Screw Tugboat
- Year Built: 1948
- Builder: Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News, VA
- Hull No.: 468
- Engines: 1 F-M 10-38D8-1/8
- Horsepower: 2,000 bhp
- Length: 102′ 06″
- Breadth: 28′ 00″
- Depth: 15′ 00″
- Port of Registry: Sault Ste. Marie, ON