This large tug was built in 1943 by Jakobson Shipyard of Oyster Bay, NY as the LT-643 for the U.S. Army. In 1977 she was sold civilian to Allied Transportation and renamed Taurus. In 1989 she was sold to the Gaelic Tugboat Company of Detroit, MI and renamed Gaelic Challenge. She was sold to Eagle Marine Towing in 1995 and renamed Frankie D., but saw little service and in 1997 she was sold to Glenn Dawson and renamed Dawson B. Later that same year, she was acquired by McKeil Marine Limited of Hamilton, ON. She was renamed Doug McKeil in 1998, and operated in barge service around the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence. In 2005, the Doug McKeil was sold to Miller Shipping of St. John’s, Newfoundland, where she was renamed Western Tugger.
This veteran tug can be found working in barge transportation all around the East Coast and St. Lawrence.
- Type: Single Screw Tugboat
- Year Built: 1943
- Builder: Jakobson Shipyard, Oyster Bay, NY
- Hull No.: 307
- Engines: 1 EMD 16-645-E7
- Horsepower: 1,950 bhp
- Length: 130′ 00″
- Breadth: 30′ 00″
- Depth: 15′ 01″
- Port of Registry: St. John’s, NL