Urger

This veteran tug was built in 1901 by Johnston Brothers in Ferrysburg, Michigan as the fish tug H.J. Dornbos for the Ver Duin Family of Grand Haven, Michigan. In 1919 or 1920 she was sold to the Heywerth Company of Chicago, Illinois for use by their subsidiary the Michigan Materials Company, which later became the Construction Materials Company and then the Construction Aggregates Corp. The Dornbos was converted to a towing vessel and renamed Urger in 1920. In 1921 or 1922 she was sold to the New York Department of Transportation for use on the New York State Barge Canal. The Urger was converted to diesel power in 1949. She continued to work on the canals of New York until 1986. The Urger returned to service in 1991 for the New York State Canal Corporation as an operating museum and classroom, continuing to sail the waterways of New York as the flagship of the Canal Corporation fleet. She continued in this service until 2016 when she was retired for possibly the final time. The Urger is currently laid up in Waterford, New York.

  • Type: Single Screw Tugboat
  • Year Built: 1901
  • Builder: Johnston Brothers Boiler Works, Ferrysburg, MI
  • Hull No.: 11
  • Engines: 1 Atlas Imperial
  • Length: 73′ 05″
  • Breadth: 14′ 09″
  • Depth: 9′ 00″