This large tug was built in 1943 by Gulfport Bolder & Welding Works as the ATA-199 for the U.S. Navy auxiliary fleet. She was decommissioned in 1948 and transferred to a reserve fleet, and at that time was given the new designation ATA-199 Undaunted. However, she never operated under this new designation, and in 1963 was transferred to the Kings Point Merchant Marine Academy for use as a training vessel. She was renamed Kings Pointer and spent 30 years in this role. Basic Marine bought the Kings Pointer in 1993, renaming her Krystal K. Basic kept the huge tug in lay-up at their Escanaba yard, and in 1998 she was sold to Pere Marquette Shipping and renamed Undaunted. That year, Basic rebuilt the tug with a new raised pilothouse, a Hydraconn coupler system, and also widened the tug. She was then paired with the self-unloading deck barge Pere Marquette 41.
The Undaunted remains busy working in the aggregate and dry bulk trades for Pere Marquette Shipping, operating across the Great Lakes with her barge.
- Type: Single Screw Articulated Tugboat
- Year Built: 1943
- Builder: Gulfport Boiler & Welding Works, Port Arthur, TX
- Hull No.: 244
- Engines: 2 Cummins K38-M
- Length: 143′ 00″
- Breadth: 58′ 00″
- Depth: 18′ 00″
- Port of Registry: Ludington, MI