Seneca

This classic tug was built in 1932 by the Electric Boat Company in Boston, Massachusetts as the YTL-479 for the U.S. Navy. She was decommissioned by the Navy in 1947 and remained inactive until 1960 when the tug was acquired by the State of New York for service on the New York State Barge Canal. She was renamed Seneca in 1960 and entered regular service for the Canal Corporation in 1968. The Seneca was an important part of the Canal Corp. fleet, moving barges and dredges around the canals. She was removed from service in the late 2010s and is currently laid up in Lysander, NY.

  • Type: Single Screw Tugboat
  • Year Built: 1932
  • Builder: Electric Boat Co., Boston, MA
  • Engines: 2 Cummins
  • Horsepower: 440 bhp
  • Length: 65′ 03″
  • Breadth: 17′ 01″
  • Depth: 7′ 09″
  • Port of Registry: Lyons, NY