The U.S. Army tug LT-1944 was built in 1952 by Avondale Marine Ways as their Hull No. 403. The tug was transferred to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1962 and renamed Washington. Washington worked mostly on Lake Erie while with the Corps, and was sold to Dawes Marine of Tonawanda, NY in 2000, who renamed the tug Sea Chief. However, the Sea Chief saw very little service for Dawes, and was sold to Basic Marine, taken to Escanaba, and laid up.
The Sea Chief, still in Corps of Engineers colors, remains in the Basic yard, used for parts and in long-term lay-up.
- Type: Single Screw Tug
- Year Built: 1952
- Builder: Avondale Marine Ways Inc., Westwego, LA
- Hull No.: 403
- Engines: 1 F-M 37F-16
- Horsepower: 1,200 bhp
- Length: 107′ 00″
- Breadth: 26′ 06″
- Depth: 15′ 00″
- Port of Registry: Escanaba, MI