This tug began life in 1928 when it was built by the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company as John F. Cushing for the Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company. In 1965 the Cushing was sold to Chicago Marine Fueling Service, who renamed the tug James E. Skelly the following year. However, the Skelly was purchased by Socony Mobil Oil Company later that same year and renamed Olive L. Moore. The Moore grounded on Lake Michigan while en route to Rockland, ME, and was sold in 1968 to South Range Aggregates. That year the Moore was repowered with a new Fairbanks-Morse engines. Ownership moved again the following year to Escanaba Towing of Escanaba, MI. With Escanaba, the Moore was frequently used to push the former steamer A.E. Nettleton as a barge. In 1980 the Moore was transferred to the Upper Lakes Towing Company of Escanaba, who rebuilt and again repowered the veteran tug, this time with two Alco engines. For the next decade she was used to push and tow the self-unloading crane barge Buckeye. When the Buckeye was retired, the Moore was converted to an articulated tug in 1991 with a Hydraconn coupler system. She was mated with the self-unloading barge McKee Sons. In 2000, the McKee Sons was chartered to Grand River Navigation and paired with the tug Invincible, leaving the Olive L. Moore without work. She was laid up at Escanaba, where her Hydraconn system was removed. From 2000 to 2005, the Moore saw very limited service. In 2006, however, she was sold to KK Integrated Logistics of Menominee, MI and converted back into an articulated tug with a new Hydraconn Coupler System. Her cabins were rebuilt yet again, and a new raised pilothouse was added. The Moore re-entered service later that year, paired with the self-unloading barge Lewis J. Kuber. In 2011, the pair was purchased by Grand River Navigation of Traverse City, MI, where they retained their names until 2017, when the barge was renamed Menominee.
The Olive L. Moore and Menominee work primarily in the stone trade on the Great Lakes for Grand River Navigation.
- Type: Twin Screw Articulated Tugboat
- Year Built: 1928
- Builder: Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., Manitowoc, WI
- Hull No.: 241
- Engines: 2 GE FDL16
- Horsepower: 5,830 bhp
- Length: 125′ 00″
- Breadth: 39′ 02″
- Depth: 13′ 09″
- Port of Registry: Cleveland, OH