This big lake tug was built in 1903 by the Ship Owners Dry Dock Company of Chicago, IL as the fire tug M.F.D. No. 15 for the Milwaukee Fire Department. In 1948 she was retired by the City of Milwaukee. The Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, OH purchased the M.F.D. No. 15 in 1952, and renamed the vessel Laurence C. Turner while rebuilding her into a towing vessel and converting her to diesel. In 1973 the Laurence C. Turner was renamed Ohio. The Ohio was repowered again in 1977. She was removed from service in 2015.
The Ohio is laid up at GLT’s yard in Cleveland.
- Type: Single Screw Tugboat
- Year Built: 1903
- Builder: Ship Owners Dry Dock Co., Chicago, IL
- Engines: 1 EMD 16-645-E6
- Horsepower: 2,000 bhp
- Length: 118′ 00″
- Breadth: 24′ 00″
- Depth: 13′ 06″
- Port of Registry: Wilmington, DE