This classic tug was built in 1943 by the Platzer Boat Works in Houston, TX as the ST-71 for the U.S. Army. In 1946 she was sold civilian to Hughes Brothers, and later that year moved to Newtown Creek Towing, who renamed the tug Russell 8. In 1961, she was acquired by McAllister Towing and Transportation and renamed Reid McAllister. Gaelic Tugboat Company of Detroit, MI acquired the tug in 1967, and renamed her as the Donegal. She was repowered in 1973. Roen Salvage of Sturgeon Bay, WI purchased the Donegal in 1985, and her name was changed to John R. Asher.
John R. Asher is Roen’s largest tug, and can be found across Lake Michigan and Lake Superior on various dredging and contracting jobs.
- Type: Single Screw Tugboat
- Year Built: 1943
- Builder: Platzer Boat Works, Houston, TX
- Hull No.: 117
- Engines: 1 Caterpillar D-398-TA
- Horsepower: 850 bhp
- Length: 68′ 09″
- Breadth: 20′ 00″
- Depth: 8′ 00″
- Port of Registry: Sturgeon Bay, WI