Joe Van goes back a long time, having been built in 1905 by Benjamin F. Cowles in Buffalo, NY as his own Theodore E. Cowles. In 1918, she was sold to the Niagara Falls Power Corporation, and was stationed at their Niagara Falls plant. Durocher Dock & Dredge of Cheboygan, MI purchased the Cowles in 1955, renaming her Joe Van and later repowering her from steam to diesel.
In 2017, the Joe Van was sold to an owner in Gladstone, MI.
- Type: Single Screw Tugboat
- Year Built: 1905
- Builder: Benjamin F. Cowles, Buffalo, NY
- Horsepower: 400 bhp
- Length: 57′ 09″
- Breadth: 15′ 00″
- Depth: 7′ 00″
- Port of Registry: Cheboygan, MI