Grand Erie

This towboat was built in 1952 in Pascagoula, Mississippi by the Arnold V. Walker Shipyard as the Chartiers for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. During her career with the Corps she primarily operated on the Ohio River in the Pittsburgh area. In 1985 the Chartiers was sold to then New York State Canal Corporation and began service on the Erie Canal in upstate New York in 1986 as the Grand Erie. She was active on the canal until the late 2010s when she was removed from service. She is currently laid up in Waterford, New York.

  • Type: Twin Screw Towboat
  • Year Built: 1952
  • Builder: Arnold V. Walker Shipyard, Pascagoula, MS
  • Engines: 2 Caterpillar
  • Horsepower: 1,150 bhp
  • Length: 92′ 06″
  • Breadth: 26′ 00″
  • Depth: 7′ 06″
  • Port of Registry: Waterford, NY