This handsome large tug was built in 1962 by Cochrane & Sons of Selby, England as the Avenger for the Elliot Steam Tug Company. In 1965 she was acquired by William Watkins Limited. She was sold to London Tugs in 1968, and continued to retain her name. In 1976, the Avenger was acquired by the Alexandria Towing Company. Purvis Marine Limited of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario bought the tug in 1985 and renamed her Avenger IV.
For many years, Purvis used the Avenger IV in barge transportation, but more recently she has only seen use in towing, escorts, and icebreaking as needed out of Sault Ste. Marie.
- Type: Single Screw Tugboat
- Year Built: 1962
- Builder: Cochrane & Sons, Selby, England
- Hull No.: 1482
- Engines: 1 English Polar 9-cylinder
- Horsepower: 2,700 bhp
- Length: 120′ 00″
- Breadth: 30′ 00″
- Depth: 19′ 00″
- Port of Registry: Sault Ste. Marie, ON